Color High-Definition video on plasma display mounted on wall
61.2 x 36.4 x 5 in (155.5 x 92.5 x 12.7 cm)
Performers: Weba Garretson, Pam Blackwell
Photo: Kira Perov
WATER TOWER ART FEST 20 – 25 JUNE 2014
TEMPORARY PROTECTED SPACES
2014 Water Tower Art Fest Featured Artist:
Bill Viola (USA): Bill Viola’s video installation “Visitation”, from his 2008 Transfigurations series, will be on display in the underground Serdica venue throughout the festival. Bill Viola is internationally recognized as a leading contemporary artist and as one of the main forces behind establishing video as a valid form of contemporary art. Known for his room-sized environments that envelop viewers with sound and feature multiple screens of moving images, Viola creates sublimely romantic imagery in the tradition of painting through radically new digital media.
2014 Water Tower Art Fest Artists:
- Andrea Coyotzi Borja (Mexico): sound installation at the Old Foundry
- Antoni Georgiev: photo series “MYSTIFICATION: A midwinter’s Saturday fog” at Rubber Gallery, opening June 24th
- Bill Viola (USA): video installation “Visitation,” 2008 at Serdica underground, opening June 21st at 19:00
- Caitlin and Andrew Webb-Ellis (UK/Cаnada): video film screening “MOTHER, I AM GOING” at bar Atelieto on June 25th
- Cathrine Constanse (Norway): video film screening “Fru. Felgens julestri.” at Hall and bar Atelieto
- Cesar Escudero Andaluz, Spain – photo series “File_món” at Rubber Gallery
- Dimitri Dimov and Lora Azza: installation “The //Bread Ladder//” and “Book ladder” in the garden of the water tower
- Domingo Pino (Spain): objects installation at the Old Foundry
- Joteva: digital photo series “Stoned Skins” at Rubber Gallery
- Frode Jacobsen (Norway): video film screening “Winter and air” “Autumn and fire” at Hall
- Ingebjørg Torgersen (Norway): performance “Not everybody cares about the weather” at Hall on June 22nd at 21:30 and video film screening of “Bank, bank, minibank” at bar Atelieto June 25th at 21:30
- Ivan Petkov: interactive installation “Mattress-pipe,” a sound installation / collaborative music instrument at Hall
- Ivaylo Hristov: installation “The last shirt has no pockets …” at Expo Bath Sofia (Roca Exposition Hall)
- James Holland (UK): sound performance at Hall
- Johannah Herr (US): site-specific installation at the Old Foundry
- Katya Stoycheva : workshop “Limit_Less” at the Red House on June 25th
- Kim Dotty Hachmann & Steffie Simen (Germany): performance workshop “Form Future” with presentation on June 23rd at the Red House
- Lars Asling & Adrian Åsling Sellius (Sweden): sound and performance “The Holistic Detective Agency” at Hall
- Liesbeth van Woerden and Liesbeth Bos from Kunstenaarsinitiatief Elders (the Netherlands): photography project installation “Healing injuries” at the Old Foundry
- Lora Hristova: video “Mother tongue” atExpo Bath Sofia (Roca Exposition Hall)
- Lorraine Kordecki (UK): installation “Lure” at Expo Bath Sofia (Roca Exposition Hall)
- Marcos Vidal (Spain): “Trap Chairs”, Sculpture installation at the Old Foundry
- Mariko Hori (Japan): “The airing project” interactive installation around city of Sofia and presentation at final day at bar Atelieto
- Mery Adam: “Voyage jusqu’a Sofia planetaire” (Пътешествие до планета София) digital photo-collage at Serdika Underground
- Micaela de Vivero (Ecuador): site-specific installation “Guardaría” at Serdika Underground
- N.P.: audio-visual installation at Serdika Underground and mural painting at the Old Foundry
- Niclas Hallberg (Sweden/Serbia): performance “Fundamental interaction” at opening at garden of the Water Tower on June 20th and video installation “FREQUENCY ONE” together with Stina Pehrsdotter at Serdika Underground
- Paul Wiersbinski (Germany): video screening “Meeting of the Mind and the Machine (2012)” at Bar Atelieto. Final day, June 25th.
- Radina Stoimenova: performance “It happened just a while ago” at festival opening in garden of the Water Tower on June 20th
- Raquel Esquives (Peru): installation “Silhouettes” at Expo Bath Sofia (Roca Exposition Hall)
- Sibylle Hofter & Daniel Sellek - Agnetur Sshwimer: presentation of City desk, Sofia at gallery “Atelie Plastelin,” opening June 24th
- Soyung Lee (Korea): video film series of “the Gummybears’ town” and “Gummybears’ Picnic,” final day film screening at bar Atelieto
- Stina Pehrsdotter, Sweden/Serbia- video together with Niclas Halberg “FREQUENCY ONE” video installation and performance workshop ”Relating objects”
- Takako Yamaguchi (Japan): installation “Lost every day” at the Old Foundry
- Trond Arne Vangen (Norway): film screening and installation ”The tool to create a better future” at bar Atelieto
- Ueta Hiroshi, (Japan): Workshop of SHODO (Japanese calligraphy) on June 21st at 18:00 and June 25th at 18:00 at Expo Bath Sofia (Roca Exposition Hall)
- Viktoria Georgieva: site-specific installation “We are looking for change” at the Old Foundry
Schedule Openings and Dates:
- 20.06, 18:30 – 22:00: Official opening at garden of water tower with concert “The Botanix,” film screening of students from Berlin with curator Kim Dotty Hachman, and perfromance program. Address: Galitchica street, Lozenets.
- 21.06: Exhibition at Expo Bath Sofia (Roca Exposition Hall) and Serdika. Address: Blvd Mariya Luzia 16.
- 21.06, 18:00: Calligraphy workshop at Expo Bath Sofia (Roca Exposition Hall) by Hiroshi Ueta, Japan.
- 21.06, 19:00: Official opening – Bill Viola “Visitation” at Serdika Underground
- 22.06, 18:30: Official opening at the Old Foundry
- 22.06, 20:00-22:00: Performance night at Hall
- 23.06, 10:00-16:00: Conference and debates at the Red House
- 23.06, 19:00-21:00: Performance night
- 24.06, 10:00-16:00: Conference and debates at the Red House
- 24.06, 18:30: Opening at Rubber gallery
- 24.06, 19:30: Opening at Gallery Atelie Plastelin
- 25.06, 10:00-13:00: Final day of conference and debates at the Red House
- 25.06, 14:00-16:00: Workshop “Limit_Less” by Katya Stoicheva, on limits of creativity, at the Red House
- 25.06, 21:30-00:00: Closing party with film screening and presentation at bar Atelieto
Map of Festival Venues:
Click for Festival Map
Venue Locations and Transportation
Serdica Metro Station
Address: corner of “Ekzarh Yosif” Str. and 16 “Maria Luiza” Blvd. entrance next to Roca store (former shop “Sofia”)
Expo Bath Sofia (Roca Exposition Hall)
Address: corner of “Ekzarh Yosif” Str. and 16 “Maria Luiza” Blvd.
Metro: Metro Station “Serdica”, walking;
Trams: No. 12, No.18, No.20, No.22, tram stop “Tsentralni Hali”; walking
Water Tower, Lozenets Neighborhood
Address: Lozenets neighborhood, the corner of “Galichitsa” Str. and “Teodosiy Tarnovski” Str.
Trams: No. 10, tram stop “Energoproekt”; walking
Buses: No. 88, bus stop “Energoproekt”; walking
Address: 14 “Lavele” Str.
Metro: Metro Station “Serdica”; walking
Trams: No. 12, No.18, tram stop “Ploshtad Sveta Nedelya”; No. 8, No. 5 tram stop “Sadebna palata”; walking
Address: 50 “Tsar Samuil” Str.
Metro: Metro Station “Serdica”; walking
Trams: No. 8, No. 5 tram stop “Sadebna palata”; walking
Rubber Gallery (Photo Gallery “Lastitsi”)
Address: 13 “Gerlovo” Str.
Buses: No. 306, No. 280, No. 213, No. 72, No. 75, No. 9 bus stop “Voenna Akademia”; walking
The Red House (Chervenata Kashta)
Address: 15 “Luben Karavelov” Str.
Buses: No. 204, No. 604, No. 72, No. 76, No. 94 bus stop “Graf Ignatiev”; walking
Trams: No. 10, No. 12, No. 18 stop “Vasil Levski” Blvd.; walking
Trolley buses: No. 1, No. 2, No. 5, No. 8, trolley stop “Kino Odeon”; walking
Old Foundry (Starata leyarna)
Address: 1″Industrialna” Str.
Buses: No. 79, No. 309 bus stop “Hladilen zavod”; walking
Trams: No. 18, No. 3, No. 4, tram stop “Hladilen zavod”; walking
NHA atelliers 56 “DONDUKOV” Bldv.
48 “Tsar Simeon” Str., 1000, Sofia, Bulgaria
Nia Pushkarova – Curator and Organizer of Water Tower Art Fest, Artist. Studied Fine Art at Reading University, UK. Works with painting, installation photography and video. Became founder of NGO IME in 2004 together with small group of creative people. Lives and works in Sofia with her son Yan.
Svetlana Alexandrova – Project manager / Coordinator
Kalina Petkova – Social media
Adi Kuneva – Assistant guests
Kristin Belcheva – Assistant
Georgi Kamburov – Technical coordinator
Margarita Eneva – Part time PR
Denitsa Toneva – Chief designer
Instudio – Print production
Kayleigh Lebak – Assistant / Website Manager