FOR NEXT EDITION OF
WATER TOWER ART FEST 2014
June 20-25, 2014
Water Tower Art Fest is an artist-run initiative and the biggest international contemporary art festival in Sofia, incorporating alternative spaces in a series of exhibitions held annually in June since 2006.
The festival has developed into a platform for the creative exchange of national and international artists working in all disciplines within the contemporary visual arts. It gives the opportunity to share ideas on how to change the socio-political situation via socially engaged works done specifically for the venues or with the notion of overcoming the paradigm of our age, dominated by economic structures prohibiting the default and divine right of existence.
Our temporary-protected spaces, the encompassing theme of our festival, is derived from the idea of home – or rather the lack of it. The need for rest and recuperation, and the need to communicate freely are the basis of this year’s theme. We are to “communicate”, by using several abandoned sites/buildings in the city of Sofia, with the possibility of short residencies at some of the venues.
The touring edition of the festival’s artworks is planed for late Summer/early Fall for locations throughout Bulgaria. We do this with the aim to decentralize the cultural life from the capital, Sofia, and share ideas with the wider public that live in remote, even secluded regions.
You are openly invited to our Temporary Protected Spaces with trust for the future with enthusiastic perseverance.
Our philosophy is that art can be made for and by ordinary people and that by expressing their feelings and fears and thoughts they will learn to accept and deal with themselves and others for what they really are.
- Thus less crime
- Thus less corruption and greed
- Thus more appreciation of work
Public places around the city of Sofia from June 20-25.
- The water tower in region of Lozenets – symbol of fest – official opening of fest 20 June
- The old foundry and hall
- The basement of ancient Serdika and Expo Bath Sofia (Roca showroom)
- Additional venues TBA
Note: The team of WTAF reserves the right to change venues due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Open call launch: 25th of February, 2014
- Deadline for proposals: 15th of April, 2014
- Announcement of accepted proposals: 27th of April, 2014
- Festival dates: June 20-25th, 2014
Who can apply?
Anyone, working in the field of contemporary visual arts, with no restriction on age, race, gender, sexual orientation, nationality or education!
We accept proposals on the basis of our proposed venues, being site specific, or based on our theme for the year. We also accept proposal topics for our discussion panels during the festival.
A Selection committee consisting of prominent art figures from the art world is invited to assist us in choice of artists.
NOTE: Artists are responsible for their own travel and shipping of artworks, unless otherwise arranged, under third parties relations made in advance. We are more than happy to send an official festival invitation for participation to be used toward the application for available arts funding and grants at selected artist’s countries of residence.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS FOR APPLYING:
Please state a detailed explanation and concept of your proposed art work including:
- concrete technical requirements and materials needed for its implementation
- sketches(if applicable) including the artwork’s dimensions
- or photographs
- short CV of the artist
What you can expect from us during WTAF:
- Extended coverage in media and official catalogue of the fest and site along with publications in different medias
- Assistance in finding affordable accommodation – hostel or private based with discount being part of the festival
- Recommendations and invitations for travel funding
- Technical and other assistance during the festival, assistance in finding materials and equipment, if not exceeding certain amount, is covered by festival
- Overall guidance and assisting in production of work by volunteers and technical team
- Possible meeting at airport and accompanying to hotel or accommodation by team and volunteers
- In case your artwork requires special equipment hire, please state this in your application, so further arrangements can be made
- Great time interacting with different artists, both local and international, a chance to get valuable contacts for your professional and personal life
- Generally meeting great people and experiencing festival’s frenzy in its full
P.S. The festival is listed in the Cultural Calendar of Sofia Municipality for 2014, a mark in our favour, which we hope would support the consideration of our candidature for Sofia – Cultural Capital 2019.
Water Tower Art Fest Team
9 Bogatica Street, app. 12
Director of NGO IME and organizer/curator of Water Tower Art Fest
Member of Bulgarian Festival Association (BFA)